Cultural heritage is vulnerable to the adverse impacts of natural disasters, and climate change is adding to the urgency of addressing this challenge.
Countries around the world are employing a variety of measures to safeguard cultural heritage against disaster risks, drawing on relevant conventions, policy frameworks, and guidance.
This knowledge note breaks down provides an overview of how to approach protecting cultural heritage, and includes:
- Key definitions and context for protecting cultural heritage against the impacts of disasters.
- Common challenges and a framework for managing disaster risk faced by cultural heritage.
- Good practice and lessons learned from international experience.
- Case studies that highlight innovative approaches and solutions for strengthening disaster resilience of cultural heritage.
- Key recommendations for policy makers and practitioners.