Result Area 2
Result Area 2, known as “Result 2” or more simply, “R2,” is one of two Result Areas managed by the WB/GFDRR (the second one being Result 5). The specific objective of Result 2 is to strengthen and accelerate the effective implementation of an African comprehensive DRR and DRM framework at regional level. It does this by:
- Strengthening the coordination capacity of RECs, and
- Assisting RECs in developing planning and policy advisory capacities to support their member states and regional/sub-regional programs on DRM
This objective is achieved by providing targeted support to African RECs to strengthen their capacities for improved coordination, planning, policy advisory and knowledge dissemination to advance the regional DRM agenda and better support their respective member states in taking informed decisions in building resilience to disasters.
Activities under R2 support and align with the strategic approach articulated by AUC’s Program of Action, the RECs’ DRR strategies and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR) 2015–2030, and are implemented through an additional contribution to the ACP-EU NDRR Program. This additional contribution targets the four main RECs and their key partners, such as African universities and research centers, river basin authorities or technical organizations. The four participating RECs are:
- ECCAS - the Economic Community for Central African States; based in Libreville, Gabon (http://www.ceeac-eccas.org)
- ECOWAS - the Economic Community of West African States; based in Abuja, Nigeria (http://www.ecowas.int)
- IGAD - the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (for Eastern Africa) based in Djibouti, Djibouti (http://www.igad.int), and
- SADC - the Southern African Development Community based in Gaborone, Botswana (http://www.sadc.int)
Participating RECs, African governments, decision makers and communities of practice will be able to leverage additional expertise, technical knowledge and best operational practices from a wide range of stakeholders through comprehensive regional engagement. The R2 program also aims to provide an advocacy platform, improve cooperation and networking among global, regional, and national technical institutions, and leverage additional stakeholder outreach to ultimately support national development plans and improve regional capacity for post-disaster needs assessments and recovery frameworks.