The European Union and the Africa, Caribbean and Pacific Group of States established in 2015 the Program “Building Disaster Resilience to natural Hazards in Sub-Saharan African Regions, Countries and Communities”. The Program consists of five Result Areas, which are implemented by several partners and together make up a complete cycle of disaster risk management measures and capacity building.
Result Area 2, known as “Result 2” or more simply as “R2,” is one of two Result Areas (the other one being Result Area 5) which is managed by the World Bank/ Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR). The specific objective of Result 2 is to strengthen and accelerate the effective implementation of an African comprehensive disaster risk reduction (DRR) and disaster risk management (DRM) framework at regional level.
The Result Area 2 Program aims to achieve its objective by implementing activities that contribute to:
- Strengthening the coordination capacity of African Regional Economic Communities (RECs), in order advance the regional Disaster Risk Management (DRM) agenda;
- Assisting RECs in developing planning and policy advisory capacities and knowledge dissemination capacities, so that RECs can better support their Member States in taking informed decisions about building resilience to disasters, and better support regional and sub-regional Programs on DRM; and
- Providing an advocacy platform and improving cooperation and networking among global, regional, and national technical institutions. In addition, leveraging additional outreach to stakeholders to support the development of national plans and to support the improvement of regional capacity for Post-Disaster Needs Assessments (PDNAs) and recovery frameworks.
RECs and their Member States’ governments, decision makers and DRM practitioners have through the Result Area 2 Program access to technical knowledge and best operational practices from a wide range of stakeholders through comprehensive regional engagement. Activities under R2 support and are aligned with the strategic approach articulated in African Union Commission's Program of Action, the RECs’ DRR strategies, and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015–2030. Activities are implemented through an additional contribution to the ACP-EU NDRR Program.
The activities target the four main RECs and their key partners, such as African universities and research centers, river basin authorities or technical organizations. The four participating RECs are:
- ECCAS - the Economic Community for Central African States; based in Libreville, Gabon (http://www.ceeac-eccas.org);
- ECOWAS - the Economic Community of West African States; based in Abuja, Nigeria (http://www.ecowas.int);
- IGAD - the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (for Eastern Africa) based in Djibouti, Djibouti (http://www.igad.int);
- SADC - the Southern African Development Community based in Gaborone, Botswana (http://www.sadc.int)
RELATION TO THE ACP-EU NDRR PROGRAM
The operations of Result Area 2 are financed by an additional contribution of €20 million made in 2014 to the single-donor Trust Fund of the ACP-EU NDRR Program. This supplemental contribution for Result Ara 2 thus falls administratively under the ACP-EU NDRR Program, but the activities implemented under Result Area 2 contribute to the ACP-EU Program “Building Disaster Resilience to Natural Hazards in Sub-Saharan African Regions, Countries, and Communities.”