Tonga: Technical Assistance for Recovery and Reconstruction Planning, Post Tropical Cyclone Ian
Building back climate-resilient homes in Tonga following Tropical Cyclone Ian. Source
Context and Objectives
The primary objective of this activity was to promote resilient reconstruction through support to the development of a housing reconstruction policy framework and strategy.
Main Activities and results
The main activities of the project were:
- Assist in developing a Housing Reconstruction Policy and Strategy by:
- Refining the needs assessment;
- Establishing the context of reconstruction
- Outlining the institutional and financial strategy and principles of community participation;
- Detailing the reconstruction approach, including eligibility criteria, grievance redressal, relocation and changes in land-use policy required for enhanced disaster resilience, and "Build back better" principles for housing reconstruction; and
- Identifying appropriate risk management measures for environmental and social safeguards, disaster risk reduction, and M&E. The Reconstruction Policy would feed in the Tonga national resilient recovery program.
- Support the Government’s recovery and reconstruction planning through providing technical support to the Government for the mapping of post-disaster building damage and needs, by:
- Utilizing remote sensing, geo-information and global positioning systems; and
- Compiling available hazard and risk information to produce adequate mapping products.
- Provide training and capacity building to the Ministry of Infrastructure Policy and Planning Division.
The project supported the Government of Tonga in the following areas:
- Promoted and supervised safer reconstruction following cyclone Ian that struck Tonga in 2014,
- Develop the Haapai island Housing Reconstruction Policy (HRP) and a strategy that supports the government’s recovery and reconstruction planning.
Partnerships and Coordination
Technical assistance was conducted jointly with the Ministry of Infrastructure and Planning.
- Integration of disaster prevention into post-disaster recovery
Window of Action
- Window 3
- 03/2014 - 12/2015