Togo: Integrated Disaster and Land Management Project
The inauguration ceremony of the warehouse on June 7, 2016 in the presence of various government ministers, the representatives of the Togo national Assembly, the World Bank Country Manger Ms. Joelle Businger, and Dr. Vladimir Kovshinov, International Civil Defence Organisation General Secretary, whose organisation provided the emergency equipment.
Context and objectives
The primary objective of the project was to improve the conditions for flood risk management and preparedness in Togo. To achieve this, the project aimed to:
- strengthen institutional capacity and raise awareness to manage flood risk and land degradation in targeted rural and urban areas; and to
- expand sustainable land management practices in targeted landscapes and climate vulnerable areas.
Main activities and results
Activities were implemented around three components:
- institutional strengthening and awareness raising;
- community-based activities for adaptation and sustainable land management, and
- early warning, monitoring, and knowledge systems.
The following results were achieved:
- Hydrological and meteorological equipment, such as rain and river-level gauges, was provided for the country’s five regions to build hydromet capacities.
- Key meteorological stations were retrofitted and 13 meteorological parks were established.
- Five NGOs and 15 community radio stations were selected for awareness campaigns on DRR and CCA that reached 105 schools and vulnerable areas. In total, 865 people (including primary and secondary school teachers) were trained on DRM and PDNAs. Two teaching guides on DRM and CC were also created and disseminated.
- The Early Warning System (EWS) was operationalized through the establishment of a EWS Centre, and a simulation of a Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) with the participation of all stakeholders at the national level and humanitarian partners.
Partnerships and coordination
The Togo IDLM was implemented in collaboration with the Togolese Ministry of Environment and Forest Resources.
A Results in Resilience story is accessible here.
- Mainstreaming of disaster risk reduction (DRR)
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 11/2014 - 06/2017