Lesotho - Strengthening the institutional capacity for planning and preparedness to improve climate and disaster risks management
Context and Objectives
The Government of Lesotho is aware of the challenges posed by climate and disasters risks and have already put in place regulatory and policy framework for disaster management and institutional arrangement. The objective of this project is to improve selected areas of the Government of Lesotho’s ability for emergency preparedness and response.
The design of this project has been informed by the analytical study funded under the other ACP-EU NDRR project for Lesotho: Climate Risk Analysis & EWS Information Management Systems.
- Component 1: Strengthening the provision of meteorological services and early warning systems of the Lesotho Meteorological Services (LMS). This component supports LMS develop its Strategy Paper and related Action Plan
- Component 2: Producing a multi-hazard contingency plan for better preparedness. This component undertakes (i) a field survey and consultations with community and districts, (ii) a review of data and information related to agriculture, health and social protection agencies, (iii) the preparation and analysis forecast for risk, and (iv) the identification of financing gaps and organizational arrangements for risk management.
- Component 3: Supporting the development of a National Public Health and Emergency Response and Preparedness Plan. This component supports the development of a Multi-Hazard National Public Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan which include guidance to rapidly assess gaps, identify priorities of intervention and mobilize resources within a reasonable timeline.
- Component 4: Assessing and improving management and operation of the Disaster Management Fund, managed by the Disaster Management Authority. This component provides technical assistance to assess the current practice, identify risks and gaps, prepare detail operation guidance, train the relevant staff to set up a sound financial management system in planning and monitoring the scare resource related to disaster management.
- Component 5: Communication, knowledge sharing, and dissemination.
This project is in its inception phase.
Partnerships and Coordination
The project is implemented by the World Bank in close collaboration with the Government and the Disaster Management Authority.
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 05/2019 - 06/2020