Ghana: Supporting Evidence Based Decision Making for a Clean, Resilient and Inclusive Greater Accra
Context and Objectives
The project strengthens flood and solid waste management and improves the living conditions of the most vulnerable communities within the Odaw River Basin of the Greater Accra Region. The activities of the project contribute to the preparation of the World Bank-financed Greater Accra Resilient and Integrated Development project.
Additional funding for this project was made available in January 2020 to identify sustainable measures to improve the collection, treatment, and disposal of solid waste in the Greater Accra region at the behest of the Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources, which will use new insights gained through this additional funding to further promote climate mitigation.
This project contributes to studies on the climate risks the Greater Accra region faces, identifies possible risk mitigation measures, and builds capacities of and develops tools for central and local governments to be better prepared for disaster risks.
This project has achieved the following results:
- An overview of suitable climate finance options for the Government of Ghana;
- An overview of possible structural and non-structural flood mitigation measures in the Odaw River Basin, as well as a Pilot Investment Plan for flood mitigation and management measures for Greater Accra;
- An overview of sustainable waste management measures in Greater Accra;
- A Pilot Investment Plan for structural flood mitigation and management measures for Greater Accra;
- A Gender Assessment and a Gender Action Plan;
- A Poverty Disaster Risk Management analysis for flood affected communities.
These results fed into the preparation and implementation of the World Bank Greater Accra Resilient and Integrated Development Project.
Partnerships and Coordination
The project has been implemented in close collaboration with the Government of Ghana, the main counterpart being the Ministry of Works and Housing, which is also responsible for the overall coordination of the Greater Accra Climate Resilient and Integrated Development project. Other government partners include the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies, the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, the National Disaster Management Agency and Water Resources Commission.
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 12/2017 - 09/2020