Gambia: National Disaster Risk Assessment and Strengthening of National Disaster Management Agency
Context and Objectives
The National Disaster Risk Assessment and Strengthening of National Disaster Management Agency Project, implemented with the Gambia National Disaster Management Agency (NDMA), supported the development of standard operating procedures for disaster risk management, including preparedness, prevention, response, recovery and rehabilitation.
Project activities were identified in close consultations with the government and include the following:
- Component 1: National Risk Assessment and Mapping. Under this component, a comprehensive hazard and risk mapping and profiling exercise was undertaken. Working with NDMA and key stakeholders, main activities included:
- compiling an inventory of existing studies, data, and national capabilities, as well as national DRR practices;
- using geospatial tools, construct a historical database of six major hazards namely, droughts, floods, windstorms, oil spill, coastal erosion and wildfires over the past ten years;
- outlining all hazard-prone areas of the country and exposure of elements at risk;
- developing an internet map service that will enable NDMA's disaster response and planning team to input critical information;
- carrying out exposure and vulnerability assessment;
- building geospatial surface models for relevant elements at risk where feasible;
- analyzing socio-economic impacts of the risks identified; and
- presenting results in an easy-to-understand way, e.g. tables, curves, matrix, maps, etc.
- Component 2: Capacity Assessment of NDMA and Partners in Disaster Risk Reduction. The main task under this component included carrying out a comprehensive study to assess capacities of key partners at the central, regional, and local levels including public, private and NGOs/Community Based Organization to ascertain their level of preparedness and ability to form a useful alliance or partnership with NDMA in carrying out their responsibilities.
The following activities were completed:
- A successful compilation of inventory of existing studies, data, national capabilities, and national DRR practices;
- An outline of all hazard-prone areas of the country and their exposure to elements at risk;
- The development of an internet map service to enable NDMA disaster response and planning team to input timely critical information; and
- Support provided in the implementation of NDMA's institutional framework and simulation exercises based on the five hazards captured in the National Contingency Plan.
Partnerships and Coordination
The project activities were implemented by the World Bank and the main counterpart was the Gambian National Disaster Management Agency.
- Mainstreaming of disaster risk reduction (DRR)
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 10/2012 - 06/2015