Democratic Republic of Congo: Strengthening Hydro-Meteorological and Climate Services
Context and Objectives
The objective of the project is to contribute to improve the quality of the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) hydro-meteorological and climate (hydromet) services. This would be achieved by strengthening the capacity of the Government's hydro-met services, MettelSat.
The activities are divided in the following components:
- Institutional and regulatory strengthening, capacity building and implementation support. This component invests in the human and institutional resources required to implement and sustain weather and water observation and forecasting.
- Modernisation of capacity, facilities and infrastructure for observation and forecasting. This component invests in the strengthening of basic networks for observation and forecasting.
- Improvement of hydro-met information service delivery. This component focuses on the delivery of more accurate, timely and relevant information to users and decision-makers. Through pilots and tailored information for target audiences, MettelSat would trial, modify and develop appropriate format and timing of hydro-met information, including to river-transportation agencies, hydropower operators, disaster reduction and civil protection agencies, farmers and agricultural actors, aviation, the media and public.
- Two implementation support missions were organized in July and November 2017, with large participation from both MettelSat and users (e.g. those working in agriculture, civil protection, aviation, fluvial navigation, social affairs, food security, etc). During these missions, several meetings and workshops were organized to identify gaps and user’s needs, which are used in project preparation.
- An institutional analysis was carried out, and the Project Implementation Unit and Steering Committee were put in place. The project team consulted with Mettelsat in preparing relevant Terms of Reference for consultancy firms and individuals.
- A workshop on Quality Management System (QMS) took place on 5-10 November 2018, attracting 23 participants, mostly from MettelSat. The workshop was led by QMS experts from the Agency for Aerial Navigation Safety in Africa and Madagascar (ASECNA).
- An institutional workshop took place on 8 November 2018, with 104 participants from MettelSat and strategic partner agencies. The workshop offered the possibility to discuss the strategic relevance and direction of MettelSat and its partnership, as well as the need for a renovated legal framework for the sector.
Partnerships and Coordination
The project is an important element of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) - African Development Bank - World Bank Africa Regional Framework Hydromet Program. This Program builds the collaboration framework for strengthening Africa’s hydro-meteorological services by providing the investment, technical assistance, and capacity building needed for integrated modernization.
The project is fully aligned with the new “Climate Risk and Early Warning Systems” (CREWS) Initiative which was launched by the Government of France in Paris at the COP21, in collaboration with WMO, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction and the World Bank.
The EU Delegation in Kinshasa has been consulted about this project, and is kept informed during implementation.
- Mainstreaming of disaster risk reduction (DRR)
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 08/2016 - 12/2019