Belize: Hazard and Risk Assessment Framework - Prioritization of an Investment Plan
Context and Objectives
The objective of this project was to identify and prioritize mitigation investments in order to support the preparation and implementation of the Disaster Risk Management investment program in Belize. This process was informed through coordinated hazard and disaster risk assessments based on specific sectoral needs.
The project activity was undertaken through three main components:
Component 1 Geo-Spatial Data Inventory and Gap Analysis
- Advancing the National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) Initiative.
- Updating the socio-economic and disaster spatial datasets
Component 2 Hazard and Disaster Risk Assessments
- Developing a guidance book for the Multi-Criteria Evaluation Process.
- Sharing knowledge with the Transport Global Practice
Component 3 Capacity Building on Hazard and Disaster Risk Assessments.
The project achieved to:
- Advance the National Spatial Data Infrastructure initiative;
- Update and hand over the socio-economic and disaster spatial datasets to government stakeholders; and
- Develop a guidance book for the Multi-Criteria Evaluation (MCE) Process.
The World Bank team worked in close collaboration with key counterparts in the Ministry of Economic Development, as well as technical line ministries to enhance the disaster risk management and climate resilience capacity in Belize.
- Risk identification and assessment
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 06/2012 - 06/2016