Haiti: Disaster Risk Management Mainstreaming and Capacity Building Program
Context and Objectives
The main objective was to strengthen the Government of Haiti's technical and institutional capacity to mainstream disaster risk reduction (DRR) into its national recovery and long-term development programs. The project did so, through improving in-country dialogue, technical assistance, and strengthened donor coordination.
Component 1: Provide Strategic and institutional support to the National DRM System. The component’s objective was to:
- Promote a national policy dialogue on DRM;
- Provide Technical Assistance to the Government on a new DRM legal framework, the revision of the National DRM plan and the establishment of a National Strategic Framework for the mainstreaming of disaster risk reduction across sectors at national and decentralized levels; and
- Develop the disaster risk reduction (DRR) monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system as set out by the National Risk and Disaster Management Plan to monitor implementation of the National DRM Plan and tracking DRM expenditures in the DPC and in line ministries;
Component 2: Integrate disaster risk management in sector policies and investments. The component’s objective was to increase disaster resilience of key sectors by:
- Providing country-based technical assistance to advocate for and introduce a DRM approach in select line Ministries and government agencies, leveraging existing World Bank's sector investments and strengthening inter-sector synergies (including: public works, housing, health, education; budget support);
- Conducting regular policy dialogue with relevant government counterparts to integrate DRM into sector strategies and country development strategies (PRSP, EU CSP, WB CAS, etc.);
- Assisting Ministries and agencies to coordinate actions of external actors and ensuring integration of disaster risk management into sector strategies, plans, and projects of main financial and technical partners (including select UN agencies);
Component 3: Knowledge Management
The Haiti Disaster Risk Management Mainstreaming and Capacity Building project, launched in August 2012 and implemented by UNDP, closed in December 2015. The following results were achieved:
- The project established in 2014 a sectorial and thematic table for DRM – a platform for dialogue among ministries, civil society, private sector and technical and financial partners - which has reinforced the National DRM System.
- The project further created a favorable environment in terms of sharing knowledge, experience and lessons learned between different governmental sectors, and to date, the platform continues to play a leading role in the dialogue on priority issues in Haiti (such as understanding risk, risk governance and risk mitigation).
- The project was able to provide technical assistance to support the revision process of the national plan. In terms of monitoring and evaluation, discussions were initiated with the Ministry of Planning as regards to monitoring resilience and DRR indicators in the line ministries. Additional work will be required for the country to improve these reference indicators.
Partnerships and Coordination
The World Bank Disaster Risk Management team and UNDP-Haiti in close cooperation with the Haitian Ministry of Interior and Local Authorities (Ministère de l'Intérieur et des Collectivités Territoriales, MICT).
- Mainstreaming of disaster risk reduction (DRR)
Window of Action
- Window 2
- 08/2012 to 12/2015